I almost didn’t post today, but when I saw this week’s TTT topic, I knew I had to. I can get all ten this week!
Top Ten Things I’m Thankful For
- I’m thankful for Thanksgiving. I haven’t been able to make it home in five years, but this is my first honest-to-goodness don’t-have-to-go-to-work paid holiday since New Year’s Day. I was temping on Labor Day, so a day off meant a day of not getting paid.
- I’m thankful for hope. I’m in a down phase at the moment, but I know that things will turn upward again eventually. They always do. Sometimes it’s not as far up as I’d like, but I’m never stuck in the depths. Hope is my favorite Christian virtue.
- I’m thankful for my roommates. They left me flowers and an apple pie today. Best Thanksgiving presents ever! They’re also a huge part of the reason I could stay in Austin, because I cut my expenses significantly by moving in with them, and they welcomed me right as my old lease was ending. They gave me a new home. How could I not appreciate that?
- I’m thankful for Austin CNM. They invited me to join them as a book review blogger, which led me to do more reading than I had in years and to get free books. How can I not love anyone or anything that comes with free books?
- I’m thankful for the Austin Public Library, because what I review that I don’t get from friends or publishers I get from them! The last book I bought was Walking with God, and that was only to get it signed by Jeff Cavins in person. I don’t know what I’d do without the library.
- I’m thankful for my unusual level of patience. I get impatient, of course, but I can handle the long drive to my job through ridiculously unpredictable Austin traffic because I have such great patience. I’ll get there eventually, I will hopefully be safe on the way, and there’s not a whole lot I can do besides. Being patient is a wonderful method of relieving stress.
- I’m thankful that J.K. Rowling successfully completed the Harry Potter series without being hit by a bus. (This is a book meme at its core.) I was genuinely afraid that something terrible would happen to her before she finished all seven books. I would have been crushed had anything happened. But she was and is fine, and the series is complete, and Ron ended up with Hermione just like I’d known for years. All is well.
- I’m thankful for employment. I work in private industry now, so I don’t generally say where, but I am very glad to have a job again after being unemployed for so long.
- I’m thankful for my health. I was living without health insurance for a while, and I am blessed to have not had any illness or accidents during that time. It would have taken money I just didn’t have to pay for insurance or to pay for care. That gamble doesn’t always turn out well.
- I’m thankful for shelter. Not having much money has made me more thankful than usual to have a home and money for electricity and gas/heat in my car. It would only take a few changes in my circumstances to leave me out in the cold, literally.
Furthermore, I’m thankful for the humility to share that the things I’m thankful for are so basic and simple. This turned out to be a much tougher year than I anticipated, but I’m still standing. I’m glad to still be on my feet.
What are you thankful for? Have you found joy in simple things this season?