Thanks for more birthday wishes from Stephanie, Mykella, Rajni, and Mark. Grandma stopped by this afternoon with cards. Granddaddy gave me $17, but it wasn’t all in one dollar bills like last year. Papa and Bridgette came by later with a “gift certificate”, the kind you can spend anywhere (i.e., cash).
I did my math and Adkins homework after much procrastinating. (Hmm… I’m hungry. Oh, Grandma’s here. I never did see the end of the VMA’s. Or the post-show. And so on.) It was painless. I am dreading my first Adkins test, because until I figure out what works for me, I won’t know what is really best. I thank everyone for their suggestions, and hope profusely that they work, but until I see some results, I can’t come up with a concrete Not Fail Adkins plan. (I love how “Adkins” can be used as a noun for the teacher and an adjective for anything associated with the teacher. Yay for made-up grammar and lack of titles.)
The Ten Commandments of Harry Potter Fanfiction, by deleted LJ user meghanjinx (Spoilers)
1. If thou shalt write Harry/Draco, thou shalt not make it into a Romeo/Juliet scenario. Thou shalt not write of their tragic love, and their house differences making them forbidden lovers. It has been done. (And it ain’t that cute, ReeRee.) Or better yet, write Lucius/James and email it to Meghan.
2. Thou shalt not title thine story in a Latin name. It has been done to death, and the horse would like it if you would stop flogging it.
3. Thou shalt not write comedy about ‘fluffy pink bunnies’, ‘pink elephants’, ‘monkies’, ‘cheese’, ‘bunny slippers’, gender displacement, bodily displacement, or anything in regards to bunnies.
4. Thou shalt not make Lucius beat Draco, or Narcissa. Lucius is not abusive; and anyone who writes this shall either be smited, or Meghan shall arrange for Lucius to beat you.
5. Thou shalt not write anything in regards to Sirius Black being actually dead. Mr. Black is not dead; merely hiding.
6. Thou shalt not redeem the Slytherins; it is the Unforgivable Sin. There are other ways of making them likable.
7. Thou shalt not make Dean ghetto, or Seamus a queen. The only queen is Ernie Macmillan.
8. Thou shalt write Harry as the Dark!Harry that he was meant to be written as.
9. Thou shalt write MWPP as MWPP, and not make Remus and Wormtail extensions of James and Sirius.
10. If thou shalt write about a minor adult character’s school days, thou shalt not make he/she have Harry Potter-esque adventures. Some people had a normal childhood. Not everyone became a young famous seeker, and solved crime on the side. Same is true with MWPP; they had wild misadventures, but it wasn’t a bloody Scooby Doo episode.
I love the way random people think. Speaking of which (not really), I got a LiveJournal yesterday. Greg’s been offering me a code practically since he got his, so I finally took him up on it. Making layouts has given me a vast appreciation for the beauty of customization, though, and those opportunities on LJ are… almost nonexistent. Still. I like it. It gives me an excuse to spend forever reading about other random people’s lives in the name of “the community”. Hehe.
What rating is your journal?
brought to you by Quizilla
Randomly: Parminder Nagra from Bend It Like Beckham is 28! Whoa. She’s almost thirty, and she can still play a totally convincing teenager. Girl’s got skills. Can’t wait to see her on ER.