Work Like Mad

1. You have the summer and plenty of money to travel abroad. Where all would you go? Back to Germany to visit Andra, and to other European countries to do the tourist thing: Paris, Spain, Italy. Also maybe somewhere in South America or Africa.
2. What foods would you be sure you got to eat? I’m not much for foreign food. Real Belgian chocolate is fabulous, though.
3. What landmarks would you be sure you got to see? The Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, St. Peter’s Basilica, the Louvre. Standard stuff.
4. What airline would you use? I have no idea.
5. Would your knowledge of other languages influence where you went? (i.e. would you be more likely to go to France if you spoke French?) I’d be okay with a tour guide and my standards, “where’s the bathroom?” and “how much does that cost?”, which can be neatly combined into “how much does the bathroom cost?”

On Sunday, six of us crammed into Jimmy’s car on the way back from church. It was so uncomfortable, but absolutely hilarious. Eric had his head titled to the side at this weird angle; I had to close my eyes to keep from laughing. We almost fell out when we finally got around to the Diner. Sunday night was horrible because I had a short story due Monday for my workshop. Of course school is so horrible right now that I had to put it off until the last possible minute. I was up until 3:30, trying to think of something. I wound up laying on the floor talking to Alex, Tom, and Scott about it, but I had nothing.

Since that was such a bust, I had to write the whole story on Monday. I was already in a bad mood, having been so late that morning I had to get my Diner bagel to go and eat it on the way to astro lecture. I zoomed home after women’s studies discussion, and sat to write for the entire time until I had to leave for workshop. (Now that I think about it, I probably could have gone to the computer lab in AA, but I don’t know if that has a printer, and I didn’t have any paper.) I think 75 minutes is my fastest output time ever. Suffice it to say, I don’t like it. I tried to take a new tack on my story from last semester, but I think I wound up half-writing Joan of Arcadia. That has been on my mind a lot, though.

Monday night, I went to Adele’s with Hana, Sara, and Becca. They’re previewing next semester’s menu, so they didn’t have the s’mores sundae I love. I did get a root beer float, though. It was pretty good, but not as much as that sundae. I hope they bring it back next semester.

Tuesday laundry was difficult again. I got there just in time for three washers, but I missed out on dryers. There was only one available, so I stuck all my colors in there and hoped for the best. As bad luck would have it, only about half the load dried, so I had to just cart it back up here for later. I was worried all morning anyway. We had our papers rescheduled for that class, but the revised syllabus said one date and my calendar (from my notes) said another, so I was panicking thinking I wouldn’t have them prepared. She just gave a lecture on postmodernism, though. And after ARHU, I think I kind of understood it. (There’s a photocopied booklet in the study lounge about postmodernism. Might read it if I get a chance.)

So after class, I came back to dry my clothes and eat. We watched a fairly interesting video in my Honors seminar about girl groups of the 50’s and 60’s. I am so behind in that class, and I have a paper outline and a group project next week. Granted, my outline is on Alicia Keys, and the project is on feminist music, but still. I’m me. Nothing school-related is easy this semester.

ARHU went by very quickly and seemed like a great waste of time. We got into pairs to talk about our episodes and get feedback. Meanwhile, our TA graded about three outlines. He’s so bad at getting assignments back to us. I thought the idea of us posting by midnight was meant to give him time during the day on Tuesday to grade them before class. That’s what happened with the first assignment, but not since then. Our “peer editing” felt a lot like busywork so he could grade.

Astro lab wasn’t great. Sebastian and I had finished early last week, which gave me an uneasy feeling. Turns out I was right, and I got another crappy grade. I don’t know why I manage to do so badly in that class. It doesn’t seem hard, but I’m just not getting it. I did get a ride back afterward, though. Then I was up until late doing my longer-than-usual astro homework.

I didn’t have as much reading to cram into my two-hour break on Wednesday, but I somehow still couldn’t manage to finish the chapter. I also didn’t get to read all the workshop stories, so I had to stay quiet during that part of the discussion and try not to look obvious. (I usually talk a lot in that class, so that was not an easy feat.) Lecture was empty, and I was way too tired to stay focused.

Wednesday night was rough. Instead of a regular Sign Language Club meeting, we had this deaf dance group, the Wild Zappers, come to perform for us. It lasted longer than regular meetings do. If I hadn’t wanted so support the club, I wouldn’t have gone. (Sometimes meetings only have eight people there; we were afraid the performance would be the same way, but it wasn’t.) They were really good dancers. If you didn’t know, you could easily think they were just signing along with their dance.

After that, I came back and worked like mad. That’s kind of my new hobby. Sad. I still had to do that paper for my lit class, so I searched for an article and then worked for hours in the study lounge. I gave up once I was too tired to be coherent. I managed to get my last moon observation (yay!), but of course I was totally awake after standing outside in the cold for twenty minutes. (I got a lot of weird looks.) But it was too late to go back and work, so I just went to bed.

I got up early on Thursday as usual. My milk went sour, so my breakfast was kind of ruined. I had to work really fast to be able to finish the paper before class, but I just managed it. Didn’t manage the reading, but it was The Stranger, so I wasn’t as lost as I might have been otherwise. I still felt bad all class, since we were actually supposed to write two five-page papers or one ten-pager, but all I had was one five-pager. I am so hopeless. I found out that she’ll take it Tuesday with no penalty, though. That’s the second late assignment I’ve had. Why is this semester so hard?

We watched a boring video in my Honors seminar that time. The Madonna and Britney project group was in the corner talking the whole time. I probably should have tried to catch up on my notes for that class, but it was dark and noisy. My group arranged to meet on Sunday night to do our project. I volunteered to cart my laptop over to CSPAC when we present.

After class, Greg and I had a lovely IM shouting match. I went to dinner, then to Mr. Maryland with Age, Megha, Christina, and Danielle. We went to support Crazy Mike in the beauty/spirit pageant. It had some highlights. Two guys re-wrote really good Maryland songs. One guy wrote his to the tune of “Kokomo”, and the winner did one like “The Chanukah Song.” When he got to “O.J. Simpson — not a Terp/ but guess who is, the creator of your favorite Muppets, Ernie and Bert,” we all cracked up. Crazy was pretty good, though he flopped during the pickup line contest. They had these foil balloons that spelled “Maryland” as decorations. We stole them when the show was over, but one of the coordinator people stole the L from me. It was cold, but I decided to just let it go. The walk back from the Union was interesting, though. Greg and I shouted some more while I tried to sort out my schedule for next semester, then I went to bed early, which has now come to mean 1AM.

I managed to oversleep by almost fifteen minutes this morning, so not cool. But I moved so fast, I was ready a few minutes early. I ran into Age at the Diner and got to eat my bagel at normal speed. I fell asleep at least twice during astro lecture. After that, I took a very slow walk to the Benjamin building and sat on a bench for a while before my advising appointment.

Okay, so I had decided to switch to elementary education because it’s limited enrollment, so it’d be easier to switch from that to secondary English than the other way around. So I made an advising appointment for elementary. When I got there, I moved from my original person to another. Somehow, she must have thought I said I definitely wanted to switch, so I switched. On my way back to the dorm, I was really confused, ’cause I wasn’t really sure what had just happened. Testudo helped. So, I am now listed as what I think translates to a Secondary English Education and English double major. I know my second advisor typed something about my having had advising, so I thought my registration block was removed, but it’s not. I decided to just keep going with secondary, but I need two more advising appointments. I snagged English on Tuesday morning, but I can’t get into ARHU (the college, not the class) until Friday morning. Two days after my registration time. It only took about five minutes’ delay during registration to get me on two waitlists last semester. I’m not going to get anything I need.

Can I please get a break somewhere?

I bet you'll love these posts, too!

Leave a comment:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

© 2002–2020. Powered by WordPress & Romangie Theme.