Catching up on old Friday Fives is a good way to fill up blogging space. One can only be so original.
February 27: Chocolate
1. What tastes best covered in chocolate? More chocolate! I love milk chocolate truffles, and that is essentially what they are: chocolate-covered chocolate.
2. Why do you eat chocolate the way you do (or don’t)? There’s a way to eat chocolate? On a vaguely related note, I was holding M&M’s for a retreat activity back at Maryland once (my own First Timers’, I think), and they melted in my hand. The palm of my hand was so colorful, and I was let down so much. They’re not supposed to do that!
3. Do you know how chocolate is made? It’s made from cacao beans. You have to add a lot of sugar to it before it’ll taste good. That is, unless you’re a dark chocolate fan and like a lot of cacao. I am not, and I don’t.
4. If you knew you would live 5 years longer if you never ate any chocolate again, would you give it up? No.
5. Have you ever had carob? What’s carob?
March 6: What would you do?
1. If your car/bike is wrecked (if your mass transit service goes belly-up), do you know what you would do to replace it, perhaps even have the car or bike you want already picked out? That is exactly what I went through last month. I had been thinking for a while about my next car. I’ve wanted a Jetta since my grandmother got her new one while I was still in high school. I used to drive her old ’94, and I still like them. MT was great, but she didn’t have much rear seat room. I never felt like I could drive when I went out with my housemates because my car was so small, so I’d thought about upgrading to the Cobalt even before the accident.
2. A client/friend gives you a lottery ticket, which wins you a prize worth (after taxes) ten times as much money as you earned/received last year. What will you do with it? Pay off all my loans (school and car). That would probably take most of the money, actually. I just did my taxes yesterday. ACE is great, but it’s no money-maker.
3. Fight or flee? For a cause I love? Fight. Physically? Flee so very fast.
4. Someone performs a random act of kindness that is exactly what you need on a bad day. If you wish to pay them back, would you write a poem, bake, buy something, or what? I love baking when I have the time. I’m a fan of simply saying that I appreciate people, or writing them heartfelt notes. I’m a big word girl.
5. Your manager commands you to pick a charity to contribute to. Do you resist? If not, which charity would be your first choice? I would never resist! (This round just begs for exclamatory responses.) I would probably split the money between mine and my housemates’ schools.
March 13: Luck
1. Do you believe in good and/or bad luck? No. In fact, I wish people “grace and blessings” instead of “good luck.” My carpool buddy thinks it’s silly, I know, but he indulges me anyway. As my good friend Br. Peter Martyr (formerly Pat) used to say, “Luck is for pagans.” I’d rather have God.
2. Do you believe there is one man/woman luckier than all the rest? Some people receive amazing blessings. Other than that, no.
3. When was the last time you considered yourself lucky? I stopped believing in luck late in college. Before that, I was lucky to have survived my first (much more minor) car accident and some near missess around that time.
4. What is the most unlucky thing to ever happen to you? I’ve had some perfect storm days, but like I said, I don’t consider them “unlucky,” per se.
5. Where do you think luck (good or bad) comes from? God.