Booking Through Thursday: Summertime

bookingthroughthursday

I got that summertime, summertime reading… No? This week of parody videos by Weird Al has got me in the mood for making up songs. It’s a rare mood, thankfully.

Do your reading habits change in the summer?

Now that I have a regular grown-up job, I read the same during the summer as I do during the rest of the year. It’s not very exciting.

When I was still in ministry, we had no programming over the summer, so I had huge swaths of time in June, July, and the first week of August. I went to a training camp after my first year, and I took some classes at the Pastoral Center after my second. Around all that, though, I spent my days reading while pacing around my office. The pacing kept me from falling asleep or being too sedentary. I managed to put away Theology of the Body for Beginners, College Apologetics, Caritas in Veritate, and Lumen Gentium. I stuck with Catholic reading since it was for work, but some TOB, some apologetics, and one encyclical and a Vatican II document isn’t bad for four months of reading!

This summer, I’m wrapping up Gaudium et Spes, which is not as practical as Lumen Gentium but is still good stuff. Anyone else focus a particular genre (if “Catholic” is a genre) in the summer?



4 Comments

Leave a comment:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Aside from theological work, I focus more on YA stuff, summer and not. I have the weird problem of going into a bookstore, looking at the YA tables for the hottest stuff, and am like, “I had already read 75% of this stuff. And the other 25% is not worth my time.” (Just finished “Mr. Penumbra’s 24-hour Bookstore” last night. Good stuff–the author nails the Silicon Valley culture with a sarcastic-laden sledgehammer.)

I was a writing major, and I have worked with college students and young adults for most of my ministerial life, so reading this ‘genre’ is both study and pleasure. It’s a weird life.

But in short, my summer reading list includes trying to read through B16’s Jesus of Nazareth Trilogy…I’ve tried this before. Ha!

My genres don’t change with the seasons. Neither does my reading, really. I read when I can. Sometimes that’s one book a week, sometimes it’s more and the last couple of years, it has even been less.

And isn’t that Weird Al grammar parody hilarious? Loved it!

2 Kids and Tired Books BTT

© 2002–2020. Powered by WordPress & Romangie Theme.